Sunday, January 15, 2006

Sunday Sermon

The Beatitudes

1. And seeing the multitudes, He (Jesus) went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him.
2. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:
3.Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4.Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5.Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.

6.Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7.Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8.Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
9.Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10.Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
*******


For me these verses by Jesus himself, speak to the heart of Christianity. Wherever he went, whenever he preached, Jesus always spoke of love, compassion, and forgiveness. Not of judgment, ("Judge not, that ye be not judged" Mt. 7:1)
Even as he hung from the cross, he spoke no evil of those who put him there.
Come to think of it I don't recall Jesus ever quoting any scripture from the old testament. Nor did he speak of the Ten Commandments.
Christianity by its very definition is a religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
Back a few weeks ago I read a post by Curious Servant, where he spoke of being a Christ Follower . He said he preferred that term over Christian. Because "Being a Christian for many folks is no more challenging that being a member of the Rotary Club." I couldn't agree more.
I am far from perfect. So very far. The road to righteousness is a long and winding one for me. One littered with temptation at every turn. As I walk that road, I often (everyday) stumble and fall. I am guilty of having unkind, often evil thoughts. I often have lust (envy,greed,gluttony and even hate) in my heart. I am so very unworthy of the love Jesus offers. But it is that love that gives me hope. And strength. The strength to face each day.
I can't help but believe we'd be living in a better world if more people followed the path of Jesus, rather than sitting around making judgments on the lives of others.
I wish you all a blessed, and happy week ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home




An Audience of One
A Touch Of Heaven
Always Victoria
Bacon and Eh's
Boydcreek
Canuckville
CassieB!!
Causin a Kimmotion!
Chocolate Starfish
Critter Chick
Cul-de-Sac
CandyTufft
Defiance Dolls
Emptying My Head
4EverDawn
Joe Cool
Life After Nexcom
Life on Whidbey
Lumbering Soul
Mind Diversion
My Insanity
Out in the Open
Otto
Southern Secrets
Split Splat (KB)
Talk With Desiree
Txoceanlover's Laments
What's Up Down South
Wind Spirit
Star Wars Fan Films