Monday, January 02, 2006

New Beginnings

Whew it's over!
Another Christmas come and gone. As usual I went through my sappy, whiney, maudlin phase. Making me most unpleasant company for anyone who enjoys the Christmas season. Don't you just love hanging out with people who put a damper on the party? Moaning and groaning, self-indulgent, self-aggrandize people. Oh please! Nobody wants to hear someone whinnying day after day how their life sucks. Okay, your life sucks. So do something about it or shut the heck up. Yes, I know we all need to vent now and then, but not every freaking day. So, I've decided it's time to 'get over it already'. As Patti LaBelle says I'm gonna get me a new attitude!
Of course with a new attitude comes change. I know, most of us are set in our ways and don't really embrace change. Oh well, get over it, this ole girl's making some changes.
For starters I'm getting back to my roots. I've traveled the world over. Been places some people only dream about. Most of my life I've been a bit embarrassed to admit, "I'm from Alabama". While I wasn't raised here, I was born here (Anniston), and my family ancestry is firmly rooted in the heart of Dixie. Well the time has come for me to acknowledge who I am and whence I come. I'm a southern woman. Born in the South. Maybe not raised here, but I was raised by a southern woman. The women who held the strongest influence over my life were all southern women. Southern traditions where the ones observed in my family. And that's nothing to be ashamed of. I am what I am.
There's nothing else is quite like the South. Not to say there's not beauty elsewhere. I've been from Alaska to New York, and have seen beautiful things there and in between, but there is nothing to compare with the beauty of the South. From the vast mountains and sparkling lakes to the white sand beaches, Alabama is a state of beauty. The beaches of Gulf Shores are probably the best kept secret of the south. Their white sands rival any found along the Emerald Coast. I could spend days in Mobile, touring their majestic southern homes. Homes that date back to the days of the Civil War. Did you know that Mobile has a Mardi Gra celebration every year? Then there's the northern part of Bama. Cheaha State Park has some of the most beautiful and breathtaking scenery you could ever wish to see. Sand Mountain, north of Gadsden is unbelievably beautiful. I could go on and on but you get the idea.
Granted Alabama is not what one would call a progressive state. People here live their lives mired firmly in tradition. Change does not come easy to them. But come it does. Kicking and screaming time has drug Alabamans into the 21st century. Yes we probably will elect Roy Moore governor this year. Well not "WE" (I'll be supporting Ms Lucy Baxley). To tell you the truth I don't see that much worse than the people of California electing 'The Terminator'. Or Minnesota electing Jesse Ventura.

As you can see I've made some changes to the blog. A new look and a new name. Just Breathe... served me well, but I'm moving on. I'm getting back to basics. There will still be a bit of patchwork here and there. Because I am a woman of many 'patches'. But, in the end, I am a Southern Woman and I live in Alabama. I think Bama Belle says it pretty well. Viola! I have a new name! I hope you like it. I know I do.
Yawl come now, yah hear!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home




An Audience of One
A Touch Of Heaven
Always Victoria
Bacon and Eh's
Boydcreek
Canuckville
CassieB!!
Causin a Kimmotion!
Chocolate Starfish
Critter Chick
Cul-de-Sac
CandyTufft
Defiance Dolls
Emptying My Head
4EverDawn
Joe Cool
Life After Nexcom
Life on Whidbey
Lumbering Soul
Mind Diversion
My Insanity
Out in the Open
Otto
Southern Secrets
Split Splat (KB)
Talk With Desiree
Txoceanlover's Laments
What's Up Down South
Wind Spirit
Star Wars Fan Films