Saturday, February 21, 2004

Bragging Rights
Reading Tx's blog for today, got me to thinking about the my own home state. I guess Alabama would technically be my home state. I was born in Anniston, Alabama. I lived there until I was two. Then my Mother married an Army Officer and we became a 'military' family. We traveled the world until I was 8 when my step-father retired and we moved to Lakeland, Florida. We lived there until I was 16 then we moved back to Alabama. I lived in this podunt little town called Lockhart for 2 years then I left for college. Later I married my own Army guy and we traveled the world until 1992 when we move yet again back to Alabama.
I've spent most of my adult life being embarrassed about 'being from' Alabama. When people would ask "where are you from" I'd say, Florida. Well I did live there for 8 years, which was the longest time I ever lived anywhere. Until now.
Having traveled throughout the world I think I can say with some expertise, Alabama really ain't so bad. In fact, there are some things one could brag about.
Alabama may be one of the worlds best well kept secrets. People think we're just a bunch of semi-ignorant rednecks who all drive pick ups and live on red dirt roads. The truth is we too have ocean (actually Gulf, the same as Texas) beaches (with white sand no less) mountains, and lakes. We have big cities and small towns. We have Red Stone Arsenal in Huntsville. We have Selma where the Civil Rights movement all began. We're the home of greats like George Washington Carver and Rosa Parks. Our schools are some of the best in the country. Our people are modest, hard working down home folks. We have Cheaha Mt. which is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot of places). Northeast Alabama is one of the most beautiful areas in the world. There are rivers and valleys with views that will take your breath away. The weather here is moderate. It never gets really cold, but the summers are scorchers! Oh yeah and we have Muscle Shoals, the home of Lynard Skinard!!!
When you travel the world and people ask 'where are you from' if you say Alabama, they will go 'oh' in that condesending way. But that's okay. We will go on being that well kept secret. I think, I like it like that!
Now, tell me about YOUR state!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home




An Audience of One
A Touch Of Heaven
Always Victoria
Bacon and Eh's
Boydcreek
Canuckville
CassieB!!
Causin a Kimmotion!
Chocolate Starfish
Critter Chick
Cul-de-Sac
CandyTufft
Defiance Dolls
Emptying My Head
4EverDawn
Joe Cool
Life After Nexcom
Life on Whidbey
Lumbering Soul
Mind Diversion
My Insanity
Out in the Open
Otto
Southern Secrets
Split Splat (KB)
Talk With Desiree
Txoceanlover's Laments
What's Up Down South
Wind Spirit
Star Wars Fan Films